1) I would like to know the difference between khairaat and sadaqa and to whom and when we can give these?
2) I have my pay around 440 USD, in which I send amount to my family. Do I have to give zakat on this?
3) For job purpose, I am living in another city of Pakistan. How can I serve my parents, as Islam says that we have to make “KHIDMAT” for our parents?
1. In most cases both are the same unless it is a wajib sadaqah. Wajib sadaqah is like the kaffarah that is given for the breaking of an oath.
Nafl sadaqah and khayraat can be given to anybody and the wajib has to be given to the recipients of zakaat.
2. No. Zakaat becomes payable at the end of the zakaatable lunar year.
3. If you could be at their side and take good care of them, as well as yourself, that is the best thing. But if for some reason you have to go out for work purposes etc then you may take care of all their needs, support them financially and keep finding out about their well being.
And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.
Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)