Q: I like to ask things I can do in the state of janabah (major impurity).
1) Can I recite or read Quranic surahs from memory when I am in the state of major impurity janabah?
2) Can I read and touch Islamic books, which has Surahs like fazail amal and other Islamic books when I am in state of major impurity janabah?
3) Can I wear taweez which has Quranic surahs when I am in major impurity janabah?
4) Some people say it’s ok to wear taweez, others say it’s haraam. What shall I do?
1. In the state of Janaabat, it is impermissible to recite the Qur’an.
2. Yes, however you should not place your hand on the verses of the Qur’an that appear in the kitaab.
3. Yes, it is permissible provided it is covered well.
4. Refer to http://muftionline.co.za/node/14056
And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.
Mufti Zakaria Makada
Checked & Approved:
Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)