Selling an item which one does not own

Q: If I don’t have stock in my business can I sell the goods? Example is that a client comes and purchases a load of bricks and he wants it delivered to his house. He pays us for the bricks and delivery and though we don’t have it in stock we accept the money. We then collect the bricks at the brick  manufacturers and then from there deliver it directly to the clients house. Is this permissible?

A: It is not permissible in Shari’ah for one to sell an item which one does not own. However the easy solution is that you inform the client that you do not have the item in stock. After purchasing the item and taking possession of it, then you may sell it to him.