Can a person become a Member of Parliment?

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by DarulUloomTT.net

As Salaamu Alaikum Sheikh.

I wanted to know if becoming a member of parliament is shirk or haram. I often hear fellow Muslims saying that becoming an MP will make you a legislator besides Allah since you are the who are making the laws.

Wa Alaikum Assalaam,

الجواب و بالله التوفيق

Becoming a Member of Parliament is not haram and it is not shirk. Becoming an MP does not necessarily mean that you are a legislator. MP’s normally work /lobby for the interest of their constituents. They question government ministries on issues of concern. They scrutinise and vote on legislation. They have the choice to vote or ‘not vote’ on legislation. MP’s do many other works that are all permissible. Therefore, it is wrong for one to say that becoming a member of parliament is shirk or haram. In fact, it is permissible to become an MP.

And Allah Knows Best.

Mufti Waseem Khan.

14/6/16.

This answer was collected from DarulUloomTT.net, which is operated under the supervision of Mufti Waseem Khan from Darul Uloom Trinidad and Tobago.

Find more answers indexed from: DarulUloomTT.net