What does Islam say about tobacco/cigarette based business/job? Actually I am Director Sales & Marketing of a world renowned tobacco group and some of my Muslim brothers told me that it is Makroh-e-Tehrimi (close to Haram). They tell me that I am selling cancer stick, and I will be held accountable by Allah because of my role in expanding heart diseases and cancer. I am very much curious since I am earning a living through this business.    

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by Albalagh.net

Earning a Living from Tobacco Sales

By Mufti Shafiq Jakhura

Q.: What does Islam say about tobacco/cigarette based business/job?

Actually I am Director Sales & Marketing of a world renowned tobacco group and some of my Muslim brothers told me that it is Makroh-e-Tehrimi (close to Haram). They tell me that I am selling cancer stick, and I will be held accountable by Allah because of my role in expanding heart diseases and cancer.

I am very much curious since I am earning a living through this business.  

A.

Although your employment at the said company and the income derived there from cannot be deemed as absolutely prohibited and haram, it is not a preferred form of employment for the reasons mentioned in your question. It will be best to gradually phase oneself out from such an employment and seek a more appropriate alternative.

And Allah Ta’ala Knows Best

_________________________________________________

This answer was collected from Albalagh.net, which is an Islamic site with Q&A and articles authored by many world renowned scholars from the Muslim world. Many of Mufti Taqi Uthmani’s fatawa in English are found exclusively on this site.

Find more answers indexed from: Albalagh.net