Home » Hanafi Fiqh » Seekersguidance.org » Are There Any Muslim Sinners That Abide in Hell Forever?

Are There Any Muslim Sinners That Abide in Hell Forever?

Answered as per Hanafi Fiqh by Seekersguidance.org

Answered by Shaykh Yusuf Weltch

Question

Are there any muslim sinners that abide in hell forever?

Answer

In the Name of Allah, the Most Merciful and Compassionate

On the Day of Judgment the Muslims will be taken to account for their deeds in this world. Thereafter, they will either be granted the Mercy of Allah Most High and directly be entered into Paradise. Others who are not granted this mercy will be punished in Hellfire for an appointed time corresponding to their sin.

Despite some of the Muslims entering Hellfire, all will eventually be removed at some point, either through intercession or because they remained the entire length decreed by Allah Most High.

The Messenger of Allah (may Allah bless him and give him peace) said, “I know the last of the inhabitants of Hellfire to exit and the last of the inhabitants of Paradise to enter. He is a man who will come crawling out of Hellfire and Allah will say, ‘Go and enter Paradise! You have the like of the entire world plus ten times that.’ The man will reply, “Do you mock me while You are King?” He (The narrator) said, “I then saw the Messenger of Allah (may Allah bless him and give him peace) smile such that his molars showed.” He (the Messenger) would say, “That is the least abode of Paradise.” [Bukhari and Muslim]

Residing Forever in Hellfire

The only sin that would cause one to remain in Hellfire for eternity is disbelief in all its types. Allah Most High says, “Indeed, Allah does not forgive associating others with Him ˹in worship˺, but forgives anything else of whoever He wills. And whoever associates others with Allah has indeed committed a grave sin.” [Quran, 4:48]

Note that the scholars are unanimous that ‘associating others with Allah (shirk)’ includes disbelief in Islam, even if done in a manner of monotheism. [Razi, Mafatih al-Ghaib]

Hope this helps

Allah knows best

[Shaykh] Yusuf Weltch
Checked and Approved by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani

This answer was collected from Seekersguidance.org. It’s an online learning platform overseen by Sheikh Faraz Rabbani. All courses are free. They also have in-person classes in Canada.

Respected Mufti Sahib. Asslamo-alaikum. Earlier I had sent a letter seeking guidance in my matter in the light of HADISH & Sunnah. I came to know of the similar case ((Fatwa: 1317/1036=H/1430) and after reading BEHESHTI ZEWAR but I did not receive the letter. Allah knows better if you received my letter or not. I request you in the name of Allah to kindly reply my matter at the earliest. My problem is: I solemnized my NIKAH on 20th may 2006 secretly with a fellow in the presence of valid witnesses in which there were no member of my family. It was because of my oath of Quran Sharif that I will marry him. This was in March 1999. Later that fellow compelled me to fulfill my oath as he frightened me that I could not even go for kaffarh as the oath was pertaining to him. I knew that my family won?t allow me to marry him. But he insisted that after NIKAH he would talk to my parents & will persuade them for proper marriage ceremony which he never did. Since then I have been living separately. I did not receive any assistance from him or the MEHR. However, we had intercourse after NIKAH. Later on I came to know of the truth. It was a well planned conspiracy hatched to defame my family. I was totally astonished. My family came to know of my NIKAH. They left the decision entirely upon me saying that they won?t interfere as they were not involved in this NIKAH itself. Subsequently I tried to reconcile with the situation but I felt completely cheated and could not make my mind to live with him any further. There was neither affection nor respect left in my heart for him. It became clear that I won?t be able to fulfill the duties of a wife for him any more. Therefore, I asked him to give me TALAQ but he refused initially. When I insisted for TALAQ (Oct 2007) he said ?TUM AZAAD HO?. After about 2-3 days I again asked him to say in the proper way he again replied ?TUM AZAAD HO?. Third time in the same month(i.e.Oct 2007) after about 4-5 days of his previous statement I asked him to give me TALAQ . I said ?MAIN IS RISHTE KO HAR AITBAR SE KHATM KARNA CHAHTI HOON. MERE DIL MEIN YE PEHLE HI KHATM HO CHUKA HAI. MAIN IS RISHTE SE RELATED KOI BHI FARZ NAHI NIBHA SAKTI HOON. MAIN TUM PAR MEHR BHI MAAF KARTI HOON. MEHARBANI KARKE MUJHE IS RISHTE SE AZAAD KARO?. He replied ?TUM AZZAD HO. TUM JAHAN CHAHO SHADI KARO.? I said ?SHUKRIYA?. I had no contact with him after this conversation. In the second half of the month of December 2007 he met me in a public place and said that he does not want to get separated and wants to continue the relationship which I refused. After this he met me again in May 2008 and said the same things again. To which I refused again and said that I had already accepted that ?TALAQ?. Since then I never met him again. I was trying to begin my life afresh and I got engaged in Oct 2008. I was planning for marriage when this fellow appeared again disrupted my engagement claiming that I was still in his NIKAH as he had never uttered the word TALAQ though he admits having said TUM AZAAD HO when I had insisted for TALAQ. So Mufti Sahib please clarify: If I am still in his NIKAH or I am divorced.