|Salatul Tasbih is read as follows:
This salaat (namaz) is offered by reading four rakaats. At a time and can be read in any part of the day and night besides the three makrooh times, keeping in mind the forbidden times for performing Salat.
The Tasbih to be read in Salaat-Ul-Tasbeeh is the third kahalimah:
” Subhaan Allahi Wal Hamdulillahi Wa Laa ilaha illal Laahu Wallahu Akbar ”
The above Tasbih is to be read 300 times in the four Rakaats.
In the first rakaat, after reading Sana “Subhaana Kallahumma…”, read the above tasbih 15 times.
Now recite Aaoz and “Bismillah…”, Then read sura Fatiha and a Surah then read the tasbih again 10 times. (this will total 25 times)
Go into ruku saying Takbeer (Allah Hoo Akbar), after reciting “Subhaana Rabbiyal Azeem” minimum of three times read the tasbih 10 times in Ruku. (Total 35)
Saying “Samee Allahu Liman Hamidah Rabbana Lakal Hamdh” get up from ruku.
Now read the tasbih 10 times again. (Total 45)
Go into Sajdah saying Takbeer (Allah Hoo Akbar) and after reciting “Subhaana Rabbiyal A’la” minimum of three times read the tasbih 10 times in the first Sajdah. (Total 55)
Now sit-up from the first Sajdah and sit in the ?At-tahiyah? position (sitting position) saying Takbeer (Allah Hoo Akbar). Sitting in this position read tasbih 10 times (total 65)
Go into the second sajda and again read Takbeer (Allah Hoo Akbar) and after reciting “Subhaana Rabbiyal A’la” minimum of three times read the tasbih 10 times in the second Sajdah again. (total 75)
Get up to begin 2nd rakat saying Takbeer (Allah Hoo Akbar).
Do rakah #2 in same fashion, but before reading Bismillah “Bismillah…”, and Surah Fatiha, read the tasbih 15 times. Follow the rest as you did in first Rakat. After second Sajdah of Second Rakat sit in Qaidah Oola (first sitting) read Attahiyat, Durood and Dua then get up for 3rd rakaat without saying Salam. Begin third Rakat, just like the first Rakat, with Sana “Subhaana Kallahumma…”, read the above tasbih 15 times.
Follow the rest as you did in first Rakat untill you sit for Qaidah Akihra (last sitting) after second sajdah of fourth Rakah. In Qaidah Akihra Attahiyat (the last sitting position of namaz), Durood, Dua finish Salah with Salam.
Special notes for Salat-Ul-Tasbih:
1) Do not count loudly. It will break your namaz
2) Do not count on fingers or by holding a Bead Tasbih in hand.
3) You may count by pressing the fingers as a reminder. For example if you are in Ruku. You me press pinky of your right hand first for the first count, then the finger next to it for second count, then the middle finger for third count, following this method untill you reach the pinky of left hand will give you an exact count of ten. Use the same method in Qayam, Sajdah and Jalsa.
4) If missed a count then make it up in the next posture. For example if forgot to recite Tasbih after Surah in Qayam. Then you may recite Tasbish 20 times instead of 10 in Rukuh after “Subhaana Rabbiyal Azeem”. Missed Tasbih cannot be recited in Qayam after ruku and Jalsa between Sajdah. If you missed the Tasbih in Ruku then recite 20 in the first Sajdah instead of the Qayam after rukuh. Similarly if missed the Tasbih in first Sajdah then do not make it up in Jalsa. Instead recite missed tasbih in the second Sajdah. If Tasbih has been missed in last sajdah of second or fourth Rakah then you can recite the missed ones before Attahiyat in Qaidah.
5) If you miss a wajib in Salah and have to do Sajdah Sahaw. You dont have to recite Tasbih in Sajdah sahoo, since the 300 count has been estalished. But if you had missed Tasbih in any of the postures and remember it later, then you may recite the missed Tasbih in Sajdah Sahaw now.
6) It is preferable to recite after Surah Fatiha Sura Takathuur in the first raka?, Surah Wal A?sr in the second raka?, Surah Kaferoon (qul ya aiyuhal Kafiroon) in the third and Surah Akhlas (Qul hu Allah-hu ahd) in the fourth raka?. If one does not remember these surah they can recite the ones they prefer.
And Allah knows best
Mufti Abubakr Karolia
Founder of the “Islamic Foundation for Theology and Research” (I.F.T.A.R)