Home » Hanafi Fiqh » Muftionline.co.za » Paper marriage only to stay in the country

Paper marriage only to stay in the country

Answered as per Hanafi Fiqh by Muftionline.co.za

Q: A Muslim student studying in non muslim country since 2006.The home country & the place where parents are staying is not comfortable/stable and full of problems economically,socially,safety & politically. This country had very relaxed laws to work & stay in country after study in 2006 while student moved and had plan to take permanent residence which have been changed now in 2010 .The student plan to make court marriage with a Christian girl who want to help the student to stay in the country & get Green card /temporary residence and later permanent residence. This girl will get compensation from the student. This will be a paper marriage only to stay in the country after the education and later get residence. 

The student will not physically meet the girl but will relieve her after receiving the residence in the country.

The student will marry a muslim girl as his partner and use the foreign residence for his work & livelihood in muslim countries like Gulf states where he may benefit of foreign residence.


A: It is not appropriate for a Muslim to resort to cheating and deceiving, thus bringing humiliation and disgrace to oneself. 

وعن ابن عمر وأبي هريرة رضي الله عنهم عن النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم قال من حمل علينا السلاح فليس منا رواه البخاري وزاد مسلم ومن غشنا فليس منا (مشكاة رقم 3520)

Answered by:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)

This answer was collected from MuftiOnline.co.za, where the questions have been answered by Mufti Zakaria Makada (Hafizahullah), who is currently a senior lecturer in the science of Hadith and Fiqh at Madrasah Ta’leemuddeen, Isipingo Beach, South Africa.

Read answers with similar topics: