Informing someone about their child’s wrongs

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by

Q: I have a cousin who is one year older than me and the problem is he stopped praying and started smoking so am I supposed to tell my uncle about his son’s actions (provided that he is a person who prays most of his prayers in the masjid) or should I keep it a secret and also if I should keep it as a secret what should I do if his father asks me about these things?



We will not advise you to spy on him.

Don’t get yourself involved.

And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)

This answer was collected from, where the questions have been answered by Mufti Zakaria Makada (Hafizahullah), who is currently a senior lecturer in the science of Hadith and Fiqh at Madrasah Ta’leemuddeen, Isipingo Beach, South Africa.

Find more answers indexed from:
Read more answers with similar topics:
Subscribe to IslamQA Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to IslamQA Weekly Newsletter

You will receive 5 Q&A in your inbox every week

We have sent a confirmation to you. Please check the and confirm your subscription. Thank you!