Husband issuing three talaaqs on different occasions

Q: I would just like to know if I am still married. My husband on many occasions divorced me when we argue or have a disagreement. He didn’t just once but twice told me talaaq three times. Other times he mentioned I must go he can find a better wife then me, I am ugly and other times I must kill myself. When he tells me this, he always says it in front of my mum as we live with my mum. Now I am wondering if I am still married.

A: Once the talaaq is issued by the husband, the talaaq takes place regardless of whether the talaaq was issued in the state of anger. Since three talaaqs were issued, the nikaah has terminated and it is no longer permissible for you both to live together.