Is it permissible to perform Hajj with money gained through selling shares of a company?

I  STARTED  WORKING IN A MNC COMPANY (  DOING WATER TREATMENT PROJECTS)  FOR THE PAST 12 YEARS, OUR COMPANY WHEN IT HAS GROWN WELL  AND THE  SAME COMPANY IS  TAKEN OVER BY THE INDIAN MANAGEMENT  . DUE TO  THIS REASON OUR MANAGEMENT  ISSUED SHARES(ESOP)  TO ALL  THE OLD STAFF, DURING THE YEAR 2006.

THOSE SHARES  WE ARE SUPPOSE TO PAY ARROUND  RS 200 /SHARE TO THE COMPANY  . NOW IT HAS GON UP BY  RS 650 . LAST WEEK I BUY  THOSE SHARE FROM MY COMPANY FOR RS200.   THROUG SOME FINANCING /FUNDING AGENCY.

( I HAVE NOT INVESTED MY OWN  MONY I GOT LOAN FOR THE BASIC PRICE OF SHARE FROM SOME FUNDING COMPANY)AND  EACH SHARE I SELL  IT IN MARKET FOR RS 650  LIKE THIS AFTER DEDUCTING ALL MY LOAN VALUES AND  TAXES  I MAY GET ARROUND RS 300,000 . 

NOW MY QUESTION IS.  IS IT PERMISSIBLE TO  GO / PERFORM HAJ IN THIS MONY ( AFTER SELLING MY ALLOTED SHARES IN THE MARKET).

THANKS

AKRAM SHARIFF

Answer

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.

It is permissible to use the money gained through selling these shares[1] to perform Hajj[2].

And Allah Ta’āla Knows Best

Bilal Mohammad

Student Darul Iftaa
New Jersey, USA 

Checked and Approved by,
Mufti Ebrahim Desai.

www.daruliftaa.net

[1] Fatawa Mahmudiyyah, vol. 23, pg. 510-511

[2] إنَّهُ فُرِضَ عَلَى كُلِّ حُرٍّ بَالِغٍ عَاقِلٍ صَحِيحٍ إذَا قَدَرَ عَلَى الزَّادِ وَالرَّاحِلَةِ فَاضِلًا عَنْ الْمَسْكَنِ وَمَا لَا بُدَّ مِنْهُ، وَعَنْ نَفَقَةِ عِيَالِهِ إلَى حِينِ عَوْدِهِ وَكَانَ الطَّرِيقُ آمِنًا (العناية شرح الهداية، ج ٢، ص ٥، دار الكتب العلمية)