Is it obligatory to say ‘sami`a allahu liman hamidah’?

Answered according to Shafi'i Fiqh by Qibla.com

Answered by Shaykh Hamza Karamali, SunniPath Academy Teacher

When following an imam, sometimes I forget to mention “Allah hears whoever praises Him” and only say “Our Lord, all praise is Yours”. What is the validity of my prayer according to Shafi’i?

Answer:
In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

In the Name of Allah, Most Merciful and Compassionate

In the Shafi`i school, it is recommended for the follower to say sami`a allahu liman hamidah as well as rabbana lakal hamd when following the imam. Neither of these formulas, however, are integral parts of the prayer, and omitting them would not invalidate one’s prayer.

In other words, if you forget to utter either of these formulas, you have missed an opportunity of eternal reward in the next life, but you haven’t committed a sin, and neither do you have to repeat your prayer.

And Allah Most High knows best.

Hamza.

This answer was indexed from Qibla.com, which used to have a repository of Islamic Q&A answered by various scholars. The website is no longer in existence. It has now been transformed into a learning portal with paid Islamic course offering under the brand of Kiflayn.

Find more answers indexed from: Qibla.com