Customs and beliefs of other religions – (Hanbali Fiqh)

Answered according to Hanbali Fiqh by TheHanbaliMadhhab.com

Assalamualaikum. Some customs beliefs that we should not put out chopsticks in a certain way like sticking it upright in our food as it is a form of offering for the spirits. If my colleagues saw me doing that and told me off, what is the ruling if i stopped sticking my chopsticks up right just to get them off my back? 

Answered by Imam Zahed Fettah

Wa’alaikumussalam. If it is a Muslim who believes this, then you should point out to him that this is a false belief and that one should not belief such things without clear proof from the Qur’an or Sunnah.
However, if it is a non-Muslim who believes this, then you can clarify your belief as a Muslim, but you should abstain from using them like this if this irritates him or he feels disrespected.

Wallahu Alam

This answer was collected from The Hanbali Madhhab website. The answers to the questions are given by Imam Zahed Fattah in accordance to the Hanbali School of Jurisprudence.

Find more answers indexed from: TheHanbaliMadhhab.com