Is It Mandatory for Men or Women Bend Their Toes in Prostration (Sujood)?

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by Seekersguidance.org

Answered by Ustadha Shaista Maqbool

Question: Asalamualaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu,

I was wondering if you could tell me if it is mandatory for us as men OR women to bend our toes during sujood? I had a revert brother ask me if its normal for his toes to hurt from all the bending and I could not answer his question.

Thank you and JazakAllah kheir for all your efforts. May Allah reward you infinitely for everything you do.

Answer: It is a confirmed sunnah – not obligatory – for men to point (i.e. bend) their toes towards the Qiblah while in prostration. Firstly, one need not emphasize this ‘bending’ such that it leads to pain; nonetheless, if the pain persists regardless, one may leave bending ones toes until the pain is alleviated.

As for women, it is not a sunnah for them to prop up their feet during prostration. (The latter is mentioned by Ibn Abideen in his Hashiyah as a quote from Al-Bahr of Ibn al-Nujaym.) Hence, a woman’s feet would be pointing towards the right, as a consequence of her position while sitting.

wasalaam,

Shaista Maqbool

Checked & Approved by Faraz Rabbani