Blood Tests, Injections and Fasting

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by Qibla.com

Answered by SunniPath Answer Service Team

As a doctor, I have some difficulty during Ramadan when Muslim patients present themselves for tests and treatment (or I am asked about what is permissible by non-Muslim colleagues for their patients). Notwithstanding that one should not fast if it is a danger to one’s health, what are the positions regarding the following (non-urgent) treatments or tests for a patient who is fasting:

Answer:
In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Wa Alaykum Assalam wa Rahmatullah wa Barakatuhu,

In the Name of Allah, Most Merciful & Compassionate

From a previous question answered by Faraz Rabbani:

No, a blood test does not invalidate the fast, as it is merely the taking out of blood.

The fast is invalidated when anything enters the body cavity, which is why injections and drips (even those that have nutritive value) do not invalidate the fast. [Bada’i` and Masa’il al-Siyam]

Wassalam,

SunniPath Fiqh Team

This answer was indexed from Qibla.com, which used to have a repository of Islamic Q&A answered by various scholars. The website is no longer in existence. It has now been transformed into a learning portal with paid Islamic course offering under the brand of Kiflayn.

Find more answers indexed from: Qibla.com