Traveling to Mecca In Ramadan, and Fasting

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by Qibla.com

Answered by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani

Asalaam Alaikum,
I will be traveling To Mecca and Medina this ramadan. I was wondering if I should fast while I travel, and how should I go about praying my salah while traveling through so many time zones. Also, is it okay to pray my salah while sitting in the air plane or do I have to stand? Jazak Allah for taking time to read my questions, please get back to me soon. I will be leaving in 9 days.

Answer:
In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Walaikum assalam wa rahmatullah,

I pray that you are well, and in the best of health and spirits. May Allah grant you all good in this life and the next. May Allah grant you a safe and blessed journey.

Please see the Related QA. In short:

(a) If you initiate your journey before the Fajr time enters, then you don’t have to fast that day. Once you’re a traveller, you don’t have to fast subsequent days–though it is recommended if you are able to without hardship;

(b) If fasting on the plane, you’d break your fast when Maghrib time enters relative to the plane itself;

(c) If able, it is necessary to pray standing on the plane. See the answers for details.

And Allah alone gives success.

Faraz Rabbani