Fasting on 11th Zhul Hijjah

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by Muftisays.com
Assalam Alekum,

I have been keeping the fast on 9th ZHujja but someone told me I should keep the 11th also if I keep on the 9th. Is it true?

WaAssalam
Mohammad Inamullah
Atlanta, GA – USA

Answer
Bismillah

Al-jawab billahi at-taufeeq (the answer with Allah’s guidance)

No, this is not true.

It is not permissible to fast during the three days (11th,12th and 13th) following the ‘Id Adha. Abu Hurairah reported that the Messenger of Allah, Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam, sent ‘Abdullah ibn Huzhaqah to announce at Mina: “You are not to fast these days. They are days of eating and drinking and remembering Allah.” This is related by Ahmad with a good chain.

Ibn ‘Abbas reported that the Messenger of Allah, Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam, sent a person to announce: “Do not fast on these days, as they are days of eating, drinking and rejoicing with one’s family.” At-Tabarani related it in al-‘Awsat.

The fast of ‘Youmul Arafah’ (9th) has been emphasised by the Prorhet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) as a Mustahab act. According to a Hadith, the fast of this day becomes a cause, hopefully so, of forgiveness for sins committed in one year. (Islamic Months, Pg. 12, by ‘Mufti Taqi Uthmani’)

It is reported that Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) used to fast the (first) nine days of Zul Hijjah.

Hafsah (Radhiallahu Anha) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu alayhi wasallam) used to fast the (first) nine days of Zul Hijjah. (Nasa’ee, Ahmad, Aboo Dawood)

http://www.albalagh.net/general/zulhijjah.shtml

And Only Allah Ta’ala Knows Best.

————————————–
Moulana Qamruz Zaman
London, UK

This answer was collected from MuftiSays.com, based in London (UK). It is one of the fruits of Darul Uloom London. Many ‘ulama are involved in answering the Q&A on the site, including: Shaikul Hadeeth Mufti Umar Farooq Sahib, Mufti Saifur Rahman Sahib, Mufti Abdullah Patel Sahib, Maulana Qamruz Zaman Sahib, Mufti Abu Bakr Karolia Sahib.

Find more answers indexed from: Muftisays.com