Al-jawab billahi at-taufeeq (the answer with Allah’s guidance)
Below is an extract from Fadhail e Salat by Moulana Zakariya Khandhalvi.
1) Rewards Of Salat
Hadith I. Salaat is a pillar of Islam
Abdullah bin Umar (Radhi Allaho anho) narrates tha the heard Rasulullah (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam) saying:Islam is founded on five pillars: bearing witness that there is no god but Allah, and Muhammad (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam) is His servant and apostle; establishment of Salaat;paying of Zakaat; performance of Hajj; and fasting in Ramadhan.
Hadith II Salaat wipes out sins
Abuzar (Radhi Allaho anho) narrates that once the Holy Prophet (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam) came out of his house. It was Autumn and the leaves were falling off the trees. He caught hold of a branch of a tree and its leaves began to drop in large number. At this he remarked, ‘O.’Abuzar! (Radhi Allaho anho) when a Muslim offers his Salaat to please Allah, his sins are shed away from him just as these leaves are falling off this tree.
Hadith III Salaat causes forgiveness of sins
Abu’Uthman (Radhi Allaho anho) says: .”I was once sitting under a tree with Salman (Radhi Allaho anho). He caught hold of a dry branch of the tree and shook it till all its leaves fell off. He then said to me, “O. Abu Uthman, (Radhi Allaho anho) Will you not ask me why I am doing this?” “Do tell me,” I entreated He said’ “The Apostle of Allah had done exactly like this before me, while I was with him under a tree. He caught a dry branch of it and shock it, till all its leaves fell off. At this he said: ‘O.Salman! (Radhi Allaho anho) Will you not ask me why I am doing this He replied: “Do tell me. Why you are doing this?’ He remarked: “Verily when a Muslim performs ‘Wudhu’ properly and then observes his Salaat five times a day, his sins fall off just as these leaves have fallen off.He then recited the following verse of the Holy Quran:
“Establish Salaat at the two ends of the day, and at the approaches of the night. Verily, good deeds annul ill deeds. This is a reminder for the mindful”.. (XI: 114),
Hadith.-IV Salaat washes away sins
Abu Hurairah (Radhi Allaho anho) narrates that once Rasulullah (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam] asked his companions “Do you believe that dirt can remain on a person bathing five times a day in a brook running in front of his door?” ‘No’, replied the companions, “No dirt can remain on his body” Rasulullah (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam) remarked: ‘So, exactly similar is the effect of Salaat offered five times a day with the Grace of Allah it washes away all the sins.
Jabir (Radhi Allaho anho) narrates that he heard the Prophet (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam) saying:”The likeness of five times ‘daily Salaat is of a deep brook running in front of the door of a person who bathes therein five times a day.
Hadith.V Salaat helps in adversities
Hazaifah (Radhi Allaho anho) says that,whenever the Prophet (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam) happened to face any difficulty, he would at once resort to Salaat.
Hadith.VI Salaat is expiation for sins
Abu Muslim narrates: I went to see Abu Umamah (Radhiallaho anho) while he was in Masjid. I asked him if he had really heard the Holy Prophet (Sallallahoalaihe wasallam) saying, “When a person performs ‘Wudhu’ with right performance and then says his Fardh Salaat, Allah forgives him all the sins committed that day by his feet in going towards evil, by his hands in doing evil, by his ears in listening to evil, by his eyes in looking at evil and by his heart in thinking of evil. ‘He replied, ‘By Allah, I have heard these words from the Holy Prophet (Sallallaho alalhe wasallam) again and, again.
Hadith.-V11 Salaat causes early entry into Paradise
Abu Hurairah (Radhi Allaho anho) narrates, “Two persons of one clan came to Rasulullah (Sallallaho allaihe wasallam) and embraced Islam at one and the same time. One of these was martyred in a battle and the other died a year later Talhah bin Ubaidullah says that he saw in his dream that the person who had died later was admitted into Paradise before the martyr. This surprised him. I do not recollect whether it was he or somebody else who narrated this dream. Rasulullah (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam) thereupon remarked: “Has not the person dying later fasted for one additional month of Ramadhan, and has he not offered six thousand or odd ‘Rakaat ‘ of Salaat more during the year he lived after the Martyr?
Hadith.-VIII Salaat is a redeemer
Ibne Masud (Radhiallaho anho) narrates that he heard the Holy Prophet (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam) saying: “At the approach of the hour of Salaat, an Angel is deputed to proclaim, ‘Arise, O Children of Aadam! and extinguish the fire that you have (bycommitting sins) kindled to burn yourselves. So, the people rise up, perform ‘Wudhu’ and offer their ‘Zuhr’prayer. This causes forgiveness of their sins committed since day-break. The same is repeated at Asr, Maghrib and Ishaa. After Ishaa people go to bed, but there are some who busy themselves in good, while some others engage in evil deeds.
Salman (Radhiallao anho) says, “After Ishaa the people get divided into three groups. There are some for whom the night is a source of blessing and gain. They are those who spend it in the worship of Allah, while other people are asleep. For them the night brings great reward from their Lord There are others who turn their night into a burden and curse for themselves, for they indulge in various dark deeds in the dead of night. To them the night brings wee and misery. There is the third group of people who go to bed immediately after Ishaa; they neither gain nor lose.
Hadith.-IX Allah’s covenant with persons particular about Salaat
Abu Qatadah bin Rab’i (Radhiallaho anho) says, ” He heard Rasulullah (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam) saying Allah has said.”O, Muhammad! I have ordained five times daily Salaat for thy followers. I have made a covenant with Myself that whosoever is regular in performing his Salaat at its fixed hour, he shall be admitted into Paradise . Those of thy followers who do not safeguard their Salaat, are not included in this covenant.
In another Hadith, it is said that Allah has ordained fivetimes Salaat and whosoever is mindful of his Salaat, by doing ‘Wudhu’ properly and by praying at fixed hours with sincerity and devotion, is assured by Allah of his entry into Paradise; and whosoever does not safeguard his Salaat, there is no such guarantee for him; he may or may not be forgiven.
Hadith.-X Value of two Rakaat of Salaat
Ibne Salman says that he heard one of the companions of the Holy Prophet (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam) narrating, “When we had won the battle of Khaiber, we began to buy and sell among ourselves the booty that had fallen to our lot. One of us went to Holy Prophet( Sallallaho alaihe wasallam) and said, ‘O.Apostle of Allah, no one else has earned so much profit as I have obtained in todays trade.’ ‘How much did you earn?’asked Rasulullah (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam). He replied, ‘I kept on selling and buying till I earned a net profit of three hundred ‘Oqiyyah’ of silver.’ The Prophet (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam) said, “Shall I inform you of something better than that ?” He exclaimed, ‘Do tell me, O. Prophet of Allah!, Rasulullah (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam) remarked ‘Two ‘Rakaats Nafl after (Fardh) Salaat.
2) Virtues Of Salat
1. “Salaat was the first and the foremost thing ordained by Allah, and it shall be the first and the foremostthing to be accounted for on the Day of Judgement.
2. Fear Allah in the matter of Salaat! Fear Allah in the matter of Salaat!! Fear Allah in the matter of Salaat!!!
3. Salaat intervenes between man and ‘Shirk.
4. Salaat is the mark of Islam. A person who says his Salaat at the fixed hours with sincerity and devotion, observing all its regulations including the ‘Mustahabbat’,is surely a Mo’min.
5. Of all things that have been ordained by Allah, Imaan’and ‘Salaat are the most valued. If there were any other thing better than Salaat, then Allah would have ordained it for His Angels, some of whom are always in’Ruku’ and others in ‘Sajdah.
6. Salaat is the pillar of Islam.
7. Salaat disgraces the Devils.
8. Salaat is the light of a Mu’min.
9. Salaat is the best ‘Jihaad.
10. Allah attends to a person so long as he is engaged in Salaat.
11. When a calamity befalls us from Heaven, people frequenting the Masjid are spared and saved.
12. If some major sins of a Muslim land him in Hell, the fire would not burn those parts of his body which have touched the ground while he was in Sajdah during his Salaat.
13. Fire has been forbidden to touch those parts of the body which touch the ground while performing the Sajdah.
14. Of all the practices, Salaat made at fixed hours is most loved by Allah.
15. Allah likes the most when a person is in ‘Sajdah’, pressing his forehead on the ground in humility.
16. A person in Sajdah is nearest unto Allah.
17. Salaat is a key to Paradise.
18. When a person stands in Salaat the gates of Paradise are let open and all the veils between him and Allah are lifted (provided that he spoils not his Salaat by coughing etc)
l9. A person in Salaat (so to say) knocks at the door of the sovereign Lord, and the door is always opened for him who knock.
20. The place of Salaat in Islam is as the head in a body.
21. Salaat is the light of the heart Let those who wish en-lighten their hearts (through Salaat”).
22. If a person wishes to have his sins forgiven by Allah, he should perform his ‘Wudhu’ properly, offer with devotion two or four Rak’aat of ‘Fardh or Nafl, and then pray to Allah. Allah will forgive him.
23. Any strip of earth, on which Allah is remembered in Salaat takes pride over the rest of the Earth.
24. Allah accepts the prayer of a person who prays to Him after performing two ‘Rakaat ‘ of Salaat. Allah grants him what he prays for, sometimes immediately and sometimes (in his own interest) later.
25. A person who performs two ‘Rakat of Salaat’ in seclusion, where no-body except Allah and His Angels see him, receives a writ of deliverance from the fire of Hell
26. One prayer (wish) is granted to a person by Allah after each ‘Fardh’ Salaat performed by him.
27. Fire of Hell is forbidden and Paradise becomes due to a person who performs his ‘Wudhu’ properly and says his Salaat conscientiously, according to its regulations.
28. Devil remains scared of a Muslim so long as he is particular about his Salaat, but no sooner does he neglect it than the Devil gets a hold upon him and aspires for success in seducing him.
29. Salaat at its early hours is the most excellent practice.
30. Salaat is the offering of the pious.
And Only Allah Ta’ala Knows Best.
Moulana Qamruz Zaman