Salaatut taubah

Q: Are there any particular Surahs or zikr/tasbeeh to be recited during istighfar Salaah? Because in one book I read it says that one should perform istighfar salah two rakaats by reciting Surah qadr after Surah Fatiha and recite Astaghfirullah 140 time in total. Is this true? Is this the way it should be performed? Please clarify and guide me.

A: There is no specification in the Ahaadith regarding the recitation of any particular Surahs for Salaatut taubah. Hence one may recite any two Surahs or from any part of the Quran one wishes. The Hadith explains that one should make wudhu and thereafter perform two rakaats nafil Salaah with the niyyat of repenting to Allah Ta’ala for the sin one has committed. After performing the Salaah, one should make dua and sincerely repent to Allah Ta’ala.