Reverting to Islam

Q: A friend of mine recently converted to Islam Alhumdulillah. As we live in a non-Islamic country, he needed to sign a form stating that he has knowingly and willingly converted to Islam and has taken the Shahada. This form needs to be signed in front of a policeman or notary by the Imam of his local masjid and also a witness from his family to acknowledge that they know of and understand his decision to convert to Islam. This form is mainly so that should he die, he is buried in the proper Islamic manner and his family who are non-Muslims cannot bury him otherwise. Obviously all other terms and conditions of being a convert to Islam with family still non-Muslim apply. However his parents have refused to accept his Islam and therefore will not willingly witness and sign the form. My question is, can another family member (e.g. his uncle) stand as witness to this signing and will it be binding? Is there anything else he needs to do with regards to this and his conversion to Islam?


A: He is a Muslim irrespective of whether his parents or anybody else bear witness to his Islam. However in order for his Islam to be legally recognised, his uncle may stand as witness on his behalf in place of his parents.

And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)