If my wife is always having periods for 5 days. After 5 days can we can do ‘intercourse’? Last week after 5 days, after confirming that there is no more bleeding and no signs of blood, we did. But after 2/3 hours suddenly bleeding starts, this was the first time it happened. What does Shari’ah says about it? I can’t explain my question much but please give me a detailed answer as we are very concerned about this. We don’t want to commit any sin.

Q: If my wife is always having periods for 5 days. After 5 days can we can do ‘intercourse’? Last week after 5 days, after confirming that there is no more bleeding and no signs of blood, we did. But after 2/3 hours suddenly bleeding starts, this was the first time it happened. What does Shari’ah says about it? I can’t explain my question much but please give me a detailed answer as we are very concerned about this. We don’t want to commit any sin.

A: If her monthly period was five days and after five days she had a ghusal and thereafter she had relations with you, you both will not be sinful. However, if a woman bled for five days on a certain month and the following month she bled for more than five days e.g. six days, then her pattern will automatically change from five days to six days. Hence it will be necessary for the husband and wife in this case to refrain from having relations for six days.