Renting out a flat to a woman experiencing marital problem

Q: What should a landlord do in a situation where a couple are having marital problems and the wife wants to rent a house from the landlord and live separately from the husband with the children. The couple are not divorced but the wife avers that she cannot take the husband’s constant abuse and beating anymore and living away from the husband will hopefully result in the husband “cooling down” and then there will be a basis for reconciliation.


A: If her husband is oppressing her then it will be permissible for the landlord to rent out the house to her independently.

And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)