Wife taking a qasam that she will leave the house after two months

Q: My question is that because of some compulsion if we have to break our kasam so what do we have to do. On house changing issue I took a kasam that after two months I will leave this house. I took a kasam on Allah Ta’ala and the Quran but now my husband says, if you go then you cannot come back here and he will break this relation. Now tell me what can I do?


A: Remain with your husband and family in the house and do not leave. After the passing of two months discharge the kaffara for breaking the oath.

The Kaffarah for breaking the oath is that you should feed ten poor Muslims with the amount of Sadaqatul fitr as an atonement for breaking the oath. Alternatively you may cloth ten poor people with such clothing wherein Salaah can be performed. If you are unable to do this then you should fast three days consecutively with the intention of atoning for the broken oath.

And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)