Referring to one’s late husband

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by

Q: How does a widow refer to her late husband after the iddat period is over because she is no longer in his nikah? Can she still refer to him as her huband? When she is doing isale-sawab can she ask Allah Ta’ala to pass the sawab on to her “husband”, or does she have to mention him by name, or refer to him as her children’s father?


A: She can send isaal e thawaab for him and when she refers to him, she can refer to him as her children’s father or she can refer to him in a respectable manner.

And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)