Q: Is it permissible to give zakat to a brother/ sister, in the following scenarios?
1. He lives in UK with wife and kids, he owns almost everything, yet has outstanding mortgage (with interest), can zakaat be given to him so he may
discharge that mortgage? Can zakaat also be given to him for other expenses whilst his mortgage still exists?
2. He does not have a house, is single, no job, has a car, receives benefits inside UK, owns a small piece of land overseas where he will eventually build
a house, and lives in his unmarried sister’s house, he also has savings of £12000 in a bank, can zakat be given to him?
3. She lives overseas, is married with children, all over 18 years of age, the husband and 2 sons do work, but earn just enough to live comfortably,
they own their house, and have almost everything they need for example washing machine, tv, cooker etc. however they do not have savings etc. So
they are not obliged to give zakat themselves, can zakat be given to them? If yes, can zakat be given to them up until the point they themselves get in to
a position where zakat becomes payable by them?
4. Does the husband have to pay zakat for his wife’s jewellery, where is claims she is the owner of it? Is the wife not obliged to pay it herself?
1. It is haraam to get into such a scheme. Hence, he should make taubah for it.
3. If they are in need and they do not have the means to see to their basic needs then they are eligible for zakaat.
4. It is the duty of the wife to pay her own zakaat.
And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.