Being separated from one’s husband for ten years

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by

Q: My sister has not lived with her husband for almost 10 years now. She has nothing to do with him as husband and wife, she feels nothing for him as her husband. She got married  in Pakistan, but she lives in Denmark. She has been divorced in the Danish paper, but he has not signed, and according to Danish law they are not husband and wife any more , but her ex-husband denies , and admits that she is still his wife. How are the rules for a woman if she wants to be divorced?


A: She should apply to a local ulama body. They will then see the case and thereafter they will annul the marriage if they find a valid reason.

And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)