If a father has earned money through illegal (haram) means, is it halal to get a share in his property as inheritance?
Q: If a father has earned money through illegal (haram) means, is it halal to get a share in his property as inheritance?
A: If the heirs are all absolutely certain that the wealth was entirely haraam they may receive their proportionate shares and give it out in charity to some deserving persons.
And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.
Read these QA to learn more..
- In the case of two brothers who have been entitled to a property as inheritance from their father, each brother got 50%. Thereafter one brother owed the other brother quite a sum of money which amounted to his half share of the property. The other brother then asked for this brothers share in the property as a settlement for his debt. In desperation, he signed over the share. Was this correct that he had to sign over his inheritance for the sake of paying back a debt or should they have worked out another way to pay back the debt? Is it fine to take inheritance?
- I inherited property from my father, he used to take bribe. (1) Is this money haram for me or halal? In one of the fatwa I read that there is sin for the person who has taken bribe and there is no sin for his sons to use this money and it is halal for him, is it correct? (2) Myself I have used some haram money and as stated above my father used to take bribe, now I am thinking to roughly calculate how much money I used from haram income and how much money my father might have taken bribe and total amount I want to donate to poor. By doing so, will all the sins of my father and my of using haram money be wash off? And what things I purchased with above money become halal for me?
- Our father died in 1990. He was the owner and editor of a newspaper. He left behind our mother three brothers and three sisters. Before his death, he gave four plots each to his sons and daughters in a colony. He left behind some residential plots, few buildings, agricultural land, bank deposits and two cars. After the death of father the business is being run by brothers, [sisters gave logistical and financial support to the business in initial years]. The brothers have purchased property from the profit of the same business. The inheritance of the father has not been distributed yet. My question is: (1) What is the share of each of us in father’s property? (2) Will the four plots given before the death be included in inheritance? Brothers say that your shares are given by the father that are four plots, now you do not have any rights. Is it correct as per Shariah? (3) What is the share of sisters in newspaper business? Can we ask for share in profits of last 21 years? (4) Can we sisters have share in the property purchased from business?
- At the time of my father’s death (1985); our sister living then and, she died in 2005. Now our mother died in 2010. We are distributing property in 2012. Sister’s husband living now and she has one daughter and one son now living in 2012. Our brother in law is a crore-pati, now but insisting to have our sister’s share from property. Please advise us, as per Hanafi branch of Islamic Shariah distribution of property. From Qatar’s scholar advice, nothing he could get, but not explained us fatwa in detail or in number to check conformity. We are ready to pay sister’s share up to father’s property sum. But, someone told if our sister’s family now are very weak in financials; then only they will get any share, as honestly we wish to pay her share up to father’s enjoyed property. But they insist on full as of today’s properties, including earned after father’s death. Please advise. Does it make any difference, in any schools of inheritance distribution and will, other than Hanafi to show him?
- My question is regarding inheritance of a property (land+house) which was initially purchased by money combined from my income and my father’s income. When I contributed the money, my intention was not clear as to whether I have a share in the property or it is a gift. When this property will be up for inheritance would the full value be split between me and my sibling or the share which belonged to me will be given to me and the share which belonged to my father be split. We have two such properties one in which I have contributed and the other in which my brother has contributed. Both have different market price. But in both the cases, the initial intent of our contribution is not clear. Alhamdulillah, parents are still alive and may they have a long life, but I wanted to clarify this as early as possible to avoid future misunderstandings.
- If a person has accumulated some wealth by haram means say (by working in a bank, or by stealing, or by earning through interest etc) but now he wants to earn through halal means and starts a halal business but through the money he earned by haram means? So can he start his business with that money that he had earned before?