Q: Are any of the following Interest Transactions?
- If a person says “Buy this item for me when you go to the supermarket, it costs R40,but I will give you R50 tomorrow?
- Loan me R40, I will give you R50 tomorrow, the extra R10 is a gift?
- A person gives me R50 and says “Go buy this item for me, it costs R40 and you can keep the change?
- If the person insists on giving the extra amount even when I tell him that it is Interest, what should I do with that money?
- If the intention of the principle was that the ten rands is in lieu of the service rendered then it is permissible.
- One should see that if there is a urf that says that the debtor should give more than what he has received then this is also riba, though he may call it a gift.
- Refer to the first answer.
- Insist on returning it.
And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.