Making istikhara to see if one married the wrong person

Q: Can I read istikhara namaaz to see if I married the wrong person? I did read istikhara before I got married over a year ago, but I am beginning to think that my excitement may have affected it and I was too young at the time (19). Our fights are mentally and physically unhealthy for the both of us. How does a women ask for a divorce if the man doesn’t want to give it?


A: We suggest that you refer your problem to the Jamiat of your area or a pious senior qualified Aalim, preferably an Aalim that you and your husband both can agree upon and ask him to assist you in solving your problem.

And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)