Asking for one’s due

Q: I am boy who is 18 years of age. My father passed away 16 years ago. I have been living with my maternal grandparents ever since. Do
I have a right to my fathers estate knowing that my paternal grandfather has full power over and he has cut off all ties with me ever since? What do I do? Do I confront him and ask him for what is mine or I turn a blind eye towards it?


A: If you are unable to personally approach him in regard to this matter, then we advise that you ask some of the senior people in the family to act on your behalf. 

And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)