Repenting from kufr and shirk

Q: If a Muslim did kufr and shirk i.e. sins which put him out of the fold of Islam, then how can he come back into the fold of Islam? Also if he has done numerous other types of major sins, then what is the procedure so that Allah Ta’ala will accept his repentance? Please explain in detail.


A: Renounce all the acts and beliefs of kufr and openly declare the kalimah. He should beg Allah Ta`ala’s forgiveness sincerely that he will never revert to this filth ever after.

And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.

يـأَيُّهَا الَّذينَ ءامَنوا توبوا إِلَى اللَّـهِ تَوبَةً نَصوحًا عَسى رَبُّكُم أَن يُكَفِّرَ عَنكُم سَيِّـٔاتِكُم وَيُدخِلَكُم جَنّـتٍ تَجرى مِن تَحتِهَا الأَنهـرُ يَومَ لا يُخزِى اللَّـهُ النَّبِىَّ وَالَّذينَ ءامَنوا مَعَهُ نورُهُم يَسعى بَينَ أَيديهِم وَبِأَيمـنِهِم يَقولونَ رَبَّنا أَتمِم لَنا نورَنا وَاغفِر لَنا إِنَّكَ عَلى كُلِّ شَىءٍ قَديرٌ ﴿٨﴾

وكيفية توبته أن يتبرأعن الأديان كلها سوى الإسلام لأنه لا دين له ولو تبرأعما انتقل إليه كفاه لحصول المقصود (هداية 2/600)

Answered by:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)