Woman does not want to return to her husband’s home

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by Muftionline.co.za

Q: If someone’s sister is married, and after marriage she is living in her mothers home due to instability with her in-laws and husband. Now her elder brother and his wife (who dislikes the sister) are pushing the sister to go back to her in-laws (husbands) home, but she is refusing to go back and says that when her husband will come back she will go (her husband is living in another country). But now her elder brothers wife has gone to her parents home and is demending a divorce (the elder brother got married 3 years ago and has no children). Please expain us what to do as per islamic laws.


A: We advise that this matter be referred to a pious senior Aalim who deals with such cases and after hearing both sides, he will be in a better position to guide the family.

And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.

Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)


Subscribe to IslamQA Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to IslamQA Weekly Newsletter

You will receive 5 Q&A in your inbox every week

We have sent a confirmation to you. Please check the and confirm your subscription. Thank you!