Husband renegading from Islam

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by

Q: I have been married for two years. My husband converted to Islam two years back. My question is if he doesn’t pray or fast, am I responsible for his behavior? Will I be punished if he doesn’t believe in Islam any more? What should I do?


A: If your husband has reneged from Islam (i.e. he is no longer a Muslim), then your nikah with him has terminated, hence it is impermissible for you to continue staying with him.

 وَلَا تَنكِحُوا الْمُشْرِكَاتِ حَتَّىٰ يُؤْمِنَّ ۚ وَلَأَمَةٌ مُّؤْمِنَةٌ خَيْرٌ مِّن مُّشْرِكَةٍ وَلَوْ أَعْجَبَتْكُمْ ۗ وَلَا تُنكِحُوا الْمُشْرِكِينَ حَتَّىٰ يُؤْمِنُوا ۚ وَلَعَبْدٌ مُّؤْمِنٌ خَيْرٌ مِّن مُّشْرِكٍ وَلَوْ أَعْجَبَكُمْ ۗ

Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)