Asking the husband for divorce

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by

Q: I am married. I am not in love with my husband. I dont wish to be with him anymore. I dont want to hurt him but I want to leave him. He has noticed changes in my behaviour and I did mention that I dont want to be with him. He threatens me and I feel forced to be with him. What is the easiest way forward for me?


A: We feel that you should try to speak to your husband and explain to him your condition. Perhaps through discussing your grievances with your husband, your problems may be resolved and the relationship may be once again restored.

If this is not possible, then discuss the matter with your parents. After discussing the matter with your parents, if you feel that you will not be able to manage to remain in the nikaah, then respectfully ask your husband to divorce you.

And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)

This answer was collected from, where the questions have been answered by Mufti Zakaria Makada (Hafizahullah), who is currently a senior lecturer in the science of Hadith and Fiqh at Madrasah Ta’leemuddeen, Isipingo Beach, South Africa.

Find more answers indexed from:
Read more answers with similar topics:
Subscribe to IslamQA Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to IslamQA Weekly Newsletter

You will receive 5 Q&A in your inbox every week

We have sent a confirmation to you. Please check the and confirm your subscription. Thank you!