Q: I have a few questions based on the scientific theory of the Big Bang. I have heard some people using the following 2 aayaat to prove the scientific theory of the Big Bang
(١) أَوَلَمْ يَرَ الَّذِينَ كَفَرُوا أَنَّ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضَ كَانَتَا رَتْقًا فَفَتَقْنَاهُمَا ۖ وَجَعَلْنَا مِنَ الْمَاءِ كُلَّ شَيْءٍ حَيٍّ ۖ أَفَلَا يُؤْمِنُونَ.
(٢) ثُمَّ اسْتَوَىٰ إِلَى السَّمَاءِ وَهِيَ دُخَانٌ فَقَالَ لَهَا وَلِلْأَرْضِ ائْتِيَا طَوْعًا أَوْ كَرْهًا قَالَتَا أَتَيْنَا طَائِعِينَ.
Based on this I have the following questions
1. What is the Islaamic perspective with regards to the manner the earth was created ?
2. Is there any way to prove the Big Bang theory using the aforementioned aayaat?
3. If a person openly proves and advocates the Big Bang theory using the aforementioned aayaat, but believes that Allah Ta’ala was the being who caused the Big Bang. What is the state of the imaan of such a person?
4. If a person believes that the Big Bang really occurred and that it was purely a matter of nature’s occurrence and not at all the doing of Allah Ta’ala, then what is the state of the imaan of such a person?
A: 1 – 2. In the reliable tafseers reported from Ibnu Abbaas (radhiyallahu anhuma), etc. they explain the first verse to mean that the earth was closed to vegetation and the skies were closed from giving rain. And then Allah Ta`ala opened the skies with rain and the earth pouring out with vegetation. You should understand that there is a difference between a theory and a fact. A theory is something that is not yet proven, and what has come from the Quraan, hadeeth, and the explanation of the Sahaabah (radhiyallahu anhum) are facts. So is it wise to leave out the fact and run after a theory that is just the outcome of someone’s mental imagination.
3. This is a baseless belief. Our beliefs are not based on speculation, concoction and guess work. Like if someone has to say that Allah Ta`ala made you to be born from a baboon, what will you say?
And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.
Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)