Repenting after uttering words of kufr

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by

Q: I uttered words of kufr and shirk. If I say the shahadah and ask Allah to forgive me, is that enough?

Also, if an apostate returns to Islam, is he equal to the Muslim who never committed kufr?

Ads by Muslim Ad Network


A: If no other person knows about your wrong then renewing your imaan is sufficient individually.

If he is very sincere in his renewing of imaan and begging Allah Ta`ala’s forgiveness and correcting himself thereafter then it is possible that he will be the same as a normal Muslim.

And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.

Answered by:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)