Reconciling after three talaaqs

Q: Five years ago, me and my husband were having problems in our marriage, so I asked for a third talaaq and he sent it to me via a text message. He said that he didn’t do it from his heart. We are both still single and we haven’t been married to anyone else, we both still love eachother. I want to know the ruling in this matter, what is the proceedure or was our divorce invalid?

A: The divorce is valid and you are haraam for him and so is he to you. The procedure to get back is referred to as halaalah. It is where the woman, after iddat of the first nikaah will have to marry another person, consummate the marriage with him, and when he dies or divorces her, she must complete her iddat. Upon completing her iddat, she can remarry her first husband.