Birthday parties

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by

Q: What do we do if my brother in law invited us for his wife’s birthday. We already told them that we do not celebrate birthdays. His wife even asked us for a birthday gift. We asked if we could just do dinner and not call it a birthday party. I told my husband that I’m not going, so he said that I am being more bad to them. So what do you advise?


A: Give them the same reason, that you do not celebrate so you will not attend.

And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)

This answer was collected from, where the questions have been answered by Mufti Zakaria Makada (Hafizahullah), who is currently a senior lecturer in the science of Hadith and Fiqh at Madrasah Ta’leemuddeen, Isipingo Beach, South Africa.

Find more answers indexed from:
Read more answers with similar topics:

Pin It on Pinterest