Q: Is it permissble to do a service in the following mannner:
1. The worker explains the service and its disadvantages to the client.
2. If the client wants the service, he pays a certain portion of the payment upfront as a deposit.
3. The worker then uses some of this deposited amount to purchase a facility that allows him to complete the service.
4. The work is then done and shown to the client for approval or rejection within 25 days.
5. If the client approves it: the client pays the remaining amount, and the completed work is given to client, along with ownership of the facility.
6. If the client does not want it: the worker then cancels the facility, receives a full refund from the facility provider, and returns the full deposited amount to the client.
And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.
Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)