Q: I had an issue with my wife a month ago and I need your assistance. She was hitting on the nanny and I asked her to stop the first time and a second time to no response. I got really angry and shouted on top of my voice for her to stop. This is the sequence of what happened afterwards:
1. She hissed at me in the presence of the kids
2. She said that I slapped her to everyone that needed to know
3. A week later she refused to give me dinner 4 her sisters and mother told her what she did was bad and to apologize she never heeded to the advice
4. She told her mother that I didn’t leave money for food in the house since I left 10 days ago (which wasn’t true)
5. Before I left the house I told her sister that she can leave to marry elsewhere if she’s interested because I can’t deal with these issues (a cleric in Nigeria suggests that was a divorce)
6. I can’t find my way around her anymore because im really hurt by her behaviour
7. Her mother is now negatively interfering in the matter and is making things worse. She even said I was irresponsible and Allah will purnish me.
A: Petty issues should not be the cause of the breakage of the home. Both should humble themselves and try and amicably resolve the dispute. May Allah grant you all happiness and understanding.
And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.
Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)