Communicating with the boy before nikaah

Q: I am in a very discomforting situation in my life. I don’t know who to ask but I think Allah SWT guided me to you. In my family, only my mum does Shariah Pardha. In my Dad’s side of the family, it is a norm to get married in the family as well as to talk to your cousins.

A while ago I communicated with my male cousins but I realised it is wrong. Therefore when I went back home I only spoke to them if there was a dire need. I don’t do Shariah Pardha at the moment but I hope to do so.

Anyhow, I got engaged to my uncle’s son whom attends jamaats etc. He tried to communicate but I ignored the messages. Later he spoke to my female cousins, therefore I responded and explained that I don’t find it appropriate talking to you. But he doesn’t understand.

My parents think it’s okay for me to talk to him if I talk within limits. However, I don’t want to talk to him and I have explained a couple of times, however he does not understand. I don’t know what I should do.

A: If they feel that it is permissible within the limit then the limit is marriage. Ask them to get you married to him and then you can communicate easily and freely.