1

Giving zakaat for previous years

Facebooktwitterpinteresttumblrmail

Q: My father saves enough money and my mother has jewellery. I know the nisaab for savings, gold and silver. As per the criteria, Zakat is wajib on my parents. Till now, in their entire life they didn’t pay zakat. They did toubah (repented) for not paying it. Now how do they pay zakah for all the previous years because they don’t know when they became sahib-e-nisaab.

Also determining the savings of my father for all the previous years is quit complicated. How much should they start giving from this year?

A: They should make an estimation of the time they may have become saahib nisaab. Based on the estimation they may work out the zakaat for the past year.

This year they should see that all zakaatable assets, example cash on hand, jewellery, stock in trade; minus all the debts the remainder will be zakaatable according to the lunar calendar.

Facebooktwitterpinteresttumblrmail