1. Is it permissible to read Quran with maqaamaat, that is, the tune which the Egyptian qaaris have adopted?
2. Is it permissible to listen to a qari who reads in this way?
3. Is it permissible to take a payment for reading qiraat?
4. Is it permissible to go to a qirat program where a qari charges for his recital?
1 – 2. To recite the Qur’aan Shaeef in a good voice is very much encouraged. However the qurraa have also emphasised that the laws of tajweed and qiraat must not be compromised in any way in order to obtain a good voice and tune.
3. It is not permissible.
4. If you are sure that he is charging for his recital you should abstain from such recitations.
And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.
Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)