Q: I had a few questions regarding nikaah:
1. What is the correct procedure for nikaah? What does it involve and how is it done?
2. If the bride’s father is alive but does not wish to attend the nikaah, can the bride’s brother be her wali? Is the nikaah valid without the presence of the father?
3. Does it matter which language the nikaah is performed – for example, if the bride or groom or witnesses do not understand what is said by whoever is performing the nikaah, is the nikaah valid? Also, does ijaab and qabool have to be said in Arabic?
1. Nikaah basically takes place with an offering and acceptance from the boy and girl or her representative in the presence of witnesses.
3. No, as long as it is understood by the people that are present.
And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.
Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)