Consulting one’s parents for marriage

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by

Q: I am a ahl-e-hadith girl. And I want to marry a barelvi boy. My parents say that it’s shirk. I’m a 27 years girl and I think he is the best man for me to spend my life with him. He is well settled. My father had seen his posts on fb like “man kunto maula”. And now my father is totally against this marriage. I want to ask you that if Islam and Shariah allows me to marry that person. Then it will be great to tell my father.


A: Don’t do things of your own. Consult your elders before embarking on anything.

And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)