Claiming a tax rebate on zakaat discharged

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by

Q: My wife transferred her zakaat to my bank account, I then forwarded the amount to an organisation to distribute her zakaat. Therefore, on paper it appears as if I have made a donation to this organisation, even though in reality it is my wifes contribution. Is it permissible for me to claim a personal rebate from SARS for myself for this donation? If I do claim a rebate, will the money belong to myself or my wife?



1. Yes.

2. It will belong to you.

And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)