Child born out of wedlock

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by Muftionline.co.za
Prev Question
Next Question

Q: I am a 34 year old married Indian living in South Africa. I came here in 2014 alone for work, I met a Christian lady in 2015 and had sex with her, I did not know her but it happened suddenly/by chance and it was only once no more after that day, it was protected with condom. After one year that lady claimed that she gave birth to a baby girl from me, I wasn’t sure with it and then I did a DNA test, the result is positive and says the baby is mine. So in this case what must I do? I cant marry her as I am already married and have 2 sons and they are with me now, I can’t even adopt that child. What is the punishment of this great sin? Please advise me.


A: Sincerely repent to Allah Ta’ala for the major sin you had committed and make a firm resolve that you will never repeat it in the future. This child is not your child as it is born out of wedlock. This child will be attributed to the mother.

And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)

This answer was collected from MuftiOnline.co.za, where the questions have been answered by Mufti Zakaria Makada (Hafizahullah), who is currently a senior lecturer in the science of Hadith and Fiqh at Madrasah Ta’leemuddeen, Isipingo Beach, South Africa.