1. Is it mandatory to wear hijab for a grown up Muslim woman and what exactly is Hijab?
2. Is it enough to cover her satar (hair and body except the face, hands (fingers)) or is it a compulsion to wear a black colour burkha as we wear in India?
3. What is ruling regarding talking to men of the opposite gender?
4. What if a woman is a civil servant wherein she has to follow a dress code, What is the ruling in such a condition?
1. Yes. Hijaab is that a woman should cover her body from head to toe in clothing that is unattractive and loose fitting and non-transparent.
2. To cover the entire body is compulsory including the face.
3. They should avoid talking to men unless it is something urgent. You should not be talking to men casually.
4. It is not at all in keeping with the dignity of a Muslim woman that she works at a public place.
And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.
Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)