Girl getting married without consulting her father

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by

Q: I would like to know, I am separated from my elder daughter’s mother, and my daughter lives with the mother. My daughter made nikaah a few days ago, and she used consent from her mother’s current husband, although I maintained her all through the years, but when she graduated from university, and started working, she distanced herself from me. There was a proposal for her, which I was informed about, but as time passed, approvals, wedding dates were set by her mother, without consulting me. Subsequently the nikaah happened last Saturday. I was not informed by either her or her mother about the date. I would like to know is it permissible for her to use her mother’s current husband as a person to give consent for the nikaah?


A: Being the biological father it was not appropriate for her not to consult with you. She must show you respect and consult with you in all important affairs.

And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)