Asking the husband for divorce due to his behaviour

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by

Q: I was a widow with three boys remarried due to financial problems. This man feeds well but he lies like anything. Hundred times he committed that he’ll not lie and I am very much opposite to him. He won’t give me anything in my hand and the rest of my money is also with him. He lies saying he took a property, but when I ask him to return my money he dodges. I am sick of his lies. He is a businessman. He loves food and spends a lot of money on hotels, parties charity but with me he won’t make me feel secure. Please advise.


A: If you are not feeling comfortable with him for some valid reason and his behaviour is not like the behaviour of a muslim then you may ask him for a separation.

And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)